Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Strategy 1- Direct and Explicit comprehension (struggling readers)

         One of the strategies described by Beers is Direct and Explicit comprehension. This would be defined by directly explaining to students strategies of comprehension. Then the teacher models and explains this . After this the teacher lets students practice this and apply it to different types of texts. This would be done by the teacher coaching students or any other more skilled reader. This should be accompanied by more examples and also and offer less help as they start understanding the strategy more.  Some say that this shouldn't be taught directly, but others believe that students could benefit from this type of instruction (Beers 37).  You can use the strategy whenever you believe it would benefit your students.  I believe my 8th grade teacher used this. I remember she told us to underline places and circle names and numbers. She would also tell us to write a note or two beside each paragraph so that we would remember what that was about. She would tell us to read the questions if there were any to keep a look out on them while we were reading. This was actually really helpful, because as a young struggling reader myself (still learning English) it was so easy for me to get lost and lose track of what I was reading. And even if I was reading I would not remember what I had read.



No comments:

Post a Comment